Cordon del Plata: (El Plata Range)
The Andes Mountain Range - Mendoza / Argentina
Maximum Elevation, 6.300 meters over the sea level.
The "Cordon del Plata" is a mountain range belonging to the Argentine Andes, located in the province of Mendoza, in Tupungato and Lujan de Cuyo's departments, which is part of the Front Range (in a parallel line to the Principal Range or Limited Range) next to the "Cordillera del Tigre", "del Portillo", "Santa Clara", "de las Llaretas", "Carrizalito" and "la Ramada" (this last one located in the province of San Juan).
This one consist on summits of great importance (of 4,000, 5,000 and even 6,000 meters) is the most colorful part of the range that can easily be seen from the central north part of the province. From here, start watercourses as streams of Mules, El Salto, Vallecitos and the Rio Blanco.
At about 3000 meters above sea level, on its hillside, is the Vallecitos Ski Centre, the closest one to Mendoza's city (approximately) about 80 km.
The most important hills that make up are: Mt. El Salto, Junción, Lomas Amarillas, Blanco, Mt. Agustin Alvarez, Mt. Rincon, Mt. Vallecitos, Negro (hill), Mt. Iluso , Mt. Adolfo Calle, Mt. Vallecitos , Mt. Stepanek, Mt. Cáucaso (summit), Mt. San Bernardo, Pico Parra, Mt. Mausy, Pico Franke, Mt. Santa Helena, Morro Chato, Pico Benay, Mt. Mensajero de la Paz, and finally the highest: Pico Plata or Platita (6,100 meters) and Mt. El Plata (6,300 meters).
The "Cordón del Plata", along with the foothills of Precordillera, resulting high altitude valleys, which favors the condensation of moisture, creating microclimates, as in La Carrera's area (Tupungato), where it is Possible planting potato seed.
Important population of turistic attractions: El Salto, Carmelo, Las Carditas, Las Vegas, Valle del Sol, Piedras Blancas, Los Zorzales.
Duration: 4 days / 3 nights
Zone: Cordón del Plata, Los Andes Mountain Range. Vallecitos, Mendoza.
Day 1: Departure from Mendoza city in private vehicle, which will lead you directly to Vallecitos. This place is located in the middle of Cordón del Plata mountain formation. Beginning of the trekking to the camp "The Veguitas”.
The trekking's first day is very short: one or two hours. This is necessary for a good adaptation to the height. In some occasions is necessary to carry equipment. We arrive to the camp with the backpacks loaded and we return to the base with the backpacks empty for more equipment. Accommodation in tent. Dinner.
Day 2: Breakfast. Day for rest and adaptation. Trekking in the surroundings or
Ascent to the mount "Mt.San Bernardo" (4500mts). Supper and lodging.
Day 3: Summit day. Breakfast. In the early morning, we will begin the ascension to "Mt Franke" (5000 meters). In the afternoon, we will return to the camp. Dinner and accommodation.
Día 4: Breakfast. We will disarm the camp to start the descent to the shelters zone. In this place we will find the vehicles that will carry you back to Mendoza.
- Private transfer Mendoza – Vallecitos – Mendoza.
- All meals and drinks during the mountain itinerary.
- Lodging in tents.
- Professional mountain guides service.
- Common use equipment (tents, pans, stoves).
Services not included:
- Sleeping bag.
- Personal equipment.
- Mules to transport equipment or personal porters (*).
- Costs for rescue or evacuation.
- Cost for give up the expedition.
- Extra foods.
- Extra expenses.
In the expedition is necessary to use communitary equipment like tents, elements of mountain kitchen, dishes, fuel, food for each day. This equipment should be moved to each camp that describe the program. The people that are part of the expedition will be the responsables to carry their own backpacks and all the equipment, distribute it in equitative form in each member. We don't carry porters or pack animals.
Recommended personal equipment
- Long and lightweight underwear kit (long boxers and turtleneck t-shirts). Polypropylene or capilene since synthetic fibers perform better than cotton.
- Fleece pants.
- Heavyweight Parka with hood. It should fit comfortable over your mid layers.
- Waterproof jacket and easy to perspire.
-NOT exclusive: waterproof and light pants and easy to perspire.
- Sunhat with peak and buff headwear.
- Head lamp, extra batteries and extra light bulbs.
- Sunglasses 100% UB with side shields. Bring an extra pair if you use prescription glasses.
- Thin gloves, 1 pair, fleece or polypropylene.
- Fingerless gloves or ski gloves.
- Hiking boots or trekking shoes.
- Sneakers for resting.
- Thick socks, wool or synthetic fabric, (2 pairs), for cold weather.
- Thin socks, flannel, nylon or polypropylene. It reduces blisters.
e) TECHNICAL GEAR
- Trekking poles (1 pair).
f) GENERAL GEAR
- Backpack: capacity 60 liters
- High quality sleeping bag to endure temperatures of -10° C.
- Insulating sleeping pad, neoprene or Thermal rest.
- Penknife. Leatherman tool or similar.
- Water bottle (2 liters).
- Sunscreen SPF 30 - 60.
- Sun lipstick. SPF 20 - 60.
- First-aid kit.
- Trekking Travel provides you a Duffel bag for the gear transported by mule.
g) TRIP GEAR
- Plastic bags to keep clothes dry.
- Toiletry bag.